When I worked at Olive Garden, Five Cheese Ziti al Forno was my most common meal choice. I LOVE a good, cheesy, baked pasta. (Al forno means from the oven in Italian). This recipe is one I made up the first time I had my in-laws over for dinner! It’s simple, dirties only one bowl, and makes a ton that of food that reheats beautifully for lunches. Just ask the husband.
- 1 lb. pasta - I use whole wheat
- 24 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 lb. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 24 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente; drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix pasta, ricotta cheese, half of the mozzarella cheese, egg, and half of the jar of spaghetti sauce.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 pan and spoon in pasta mixture. Top with remaining spaghetti sauce, followed by the parmesan cheese and the rest of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then turn on the broiler. Cook 5 minutes more to get that nice, browned, cheesy crust on top.
Ada’s little plate, she wanted hers to be in a picture :)